Sunday, August 10, 2014

meds and a wedding with the in-laws


themetapicture.com
 My meds arrived on Wednesday. I had them delivered to my office and I had to sit with them under my desk while I worked all day. All I really wanted to do was tear them open and research how to get everything started - instead of working. Carrying the boxes back to my car was a bit of a haul, but I made it home safely and then my husband and I opened everything up.

Follistim
Menopur
Lupron
Diazepam
Doxycycline
Novarel

I had some Crinone stashed from our previous IUI cycles - enough for this IVF cycle - so we didn't have to order that and it saved us around a grand on our meds. The final total was around $2,400.00. Remember about three weeks ago when I was excited to discover we had some drug coverage? Well our insurance covered everything except the Follistim and the Menopur - we even got those drugs at a discount through our pharmacy - so we're pretty grateful. We know there are some people out there who are paying for medications like this a monthly basis for other chronic health conditions and we pray that we don't have to use these drugs for long.

In other news we went to a wedding on my husband's side of the family yesterday. All you need to know is that I was stuck in a hotel over-night with my M-I-L and S-I-Ls. We decided not to tell them our room number, though I don't think they would have bothered us anyway. Everyone was civil and chatty. A few glasses of red wine helped out a lot for me. My S-I-Ls were up to the same old shenanigans - what can only be described a binge drinking. One had a bottle of vodka in her purse that she was talking pulls off all night - that was with all the free white wine she could drink from the open bar. They get on my nerves, so perhaps I spend too much time focusing on their negative habits. But you seriously shouldn't drink that much when you have a baby to take care of - especially when you have two DWIs under your belt.

I usually leave family events with my in-laws shocked at the amount of alcohol consumed and also shocked that the individuals drinking are allowed to get in their cars and drive home.

My mother and father-in-law paid for everyone's room but ours. I didn't say anything. I didn't even complain to my husband. We don't need their free hand-outs - they don't know that we're doing IVF - but this year alone we have paid out over 20 thousand dollars in adoption and infertility treatment fees. It's better that we're working for everything ourselves, but I felt the sting of that.

Anyway, the wedding is behind us. I was dreading it - and it went well. No big scene with my in-laws. Now the only thing that I can obsess and worry about is our upcoming IVF cycle. One more week until we start our Lupron injections. Four weeks until our transfer.

I've been off coffee and wine - except for a few occasions (last night being one of them) but now I'm really going to stay on the straight and narrow path of good food, rest, acupuncture and hopeful, positive thoughts.

Sorry for complaining so much about my in-laws everyone, but hopefully I can leave my negativity here and move on with happier thoughts.

Jillian

6 comments:

  1. That is so odd- why everyone else's and not yours? In any case, forget them girlfriend- you got bigger things to concern yourself about! Their story is their story and yours is waiting to be written, and the only one that ultimately matters! I will be cycling at almostly exactly the same time as you, I start in a week too (DREADING THE INJECTIONS, WHINE) though I already know it will all be FET, so we can keep each other company and Positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Weylin! You're right about the bigger things . . . I can't wait to do my first injection - but I'm sure the excitement will fade with the sting of the shot!

      Delete
  2. I remember getting all of our meds... It was so exciting! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have your big family of fellow IF'ers and IVF'ers here to support you and lift you up and encourage you! You are strong and amazing. Best of luck to you and your husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you . . . everyone's comments are helping me pull out of this negative funk that I always get wrapped up in when I'm around my in-laws. Thank you for saying I'm strong . . . I hope I am and can be.

      Delete